Thursday, July 9, 2015

movie list: Strange Magic (Animated Movie 2015)

I've been excited to see a funny looking movie since I saw its trailer in the start of this year. The title, Strange Magic. Honestly I didn't even try to anticipate it in the local theatres, however I did want to see it be locally shown. But it seems like fate had a different plan for the movie. According to what I saw it didn't receive that positive of a reaction from the masses. Kind of did not expect that at first, but since I wanted to watch it despite the negative stuff I hear about it, I sought out a copy of it.

Source
Summary, no spoilers, trust me. It's a story about a kingdom of Fairies and Goblins. Where the idea of a love potion is forbidden. Eventually some rules got broken and all hell broke loose. Someone became a hostage, three people tries to save her. Two actually feels responsible and sensible and heart wrenched for their mission, one just likes to be macho about it. Alot of lame puns and singing in the most weird mashup, but nice ring in it, ever.

Wait, I just felt like I said a lot of spoilers than I intended to keep? Totally do not trust me when I say "NO SPOILERS". Ever. In the near future.

Oh, well. It's not like its a big deal. Because eventually this movie has me going fifty-50. Fifty for being pun-ny and at some point cool in concept and art design, while the other 50 just made me cringe at several shallow concepts and loop holes in the story that I felt like I knew but forgot due to the pun-ny-ness.

Can't help it, I'm originally a shallow person. But it can't escape even the shallow me to notice a lot of potential gone down the drain if it was thought of well, in the story and the characters personality design I mean. Not piling it out is something bland that I shouldn't do, BUT, I'm going to do it.

I'm not gonna pin point every single what was wrong about in the movie, because I can't be a hypocrite by saying I did not enjoy the movie. I enjoyed it. All those pun intended moments, lame placed jokes that were obvious modern references of true to life societal personalities and the facts of life and what not. Plus the weird ship of the "villain" and "heroine".

Source
Yes, I ship the Bog king and Marriane romantically. They're very existence in the story is an actual (or physical) representation of the idealistic concept of falling in-love. Both experiencing heart aches in their own, in the story, for rushing in love. However I did not ship them due to that fact, because they're going to heal each others wounds, etcetera. Shipping them was what I did even before I got the chance to confirm it by watching the movie.

I shipped them because they had a perceived contrast slash similarity in personalities. I only had the trailer for reference but they felt both spunky and hardened warriors. They have the impression that they would stand firm in their perceived conviction and morale. Eventually they were both sappy heart broken beings, that needed a whole gallant battle just to realize they love each other. Of course my guess of their personalities was still there so it like it wasn't a lost cause for me guessing, and my shipping their romance.


In the end I wouldn't recommend this movie, wished it was premiered in February instead of January due to sappiness and again I have encountered a use of a whole concept of a universe wasted by a simple shallow story that told of romance in the most musical action-fantasy "packed" way.

No comments:

Post a Comment