Friday, September 18, 2015

movie list: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner 2, 2015)

The fad for making movies from books has always been in our culture, humanity in general, since around the first time someone discovered or tried to make a film from a book. So standards aren't much for my taste, yet finally, the first time I had an honest to something opinion of a movie flow or kind of criticism shows up in the second film of the series Maze Runner.

Source
I've watched the first movie, simply The Maze Runner, repeatedly in a movie cable channel, I've forgotten which one. Personally I liked it, I mean the ending didn't look like an "obvious" open ended one, until of course that one scene that symbolized that its a series in the end credits.

As usual my mother asked me to watch the movies cause she wants to spend some movie time, plus free movies on that day. Lovely perks of the seniors. There were only two movies in the roster, sadly there was no Heneral Luna which is a movie that is locally trending with my friends and majority of the people I know thats got the same taste of entertainment or probably even better than mine. Either a movie about something relationship related "again" and a movie about kids running around trying to survive, or I assume are kids.

Basically watching and getting to know more about the universe of Maze Runners dystopian future made me realize that the second movie, no its not the times I missed those scenes from the beginning that I missed, that I am pretty much confused with some elements that felt "off".

Without knowing anything about the book, basing only from the movie. I was confused about several characters significance, as if their introduction and purpose was "great" yet their time in the movie or even circumstances felt lacking. True, we cannot expect any kind of detail focus as the books can give, but to the extent that I can feel it is not a good sign.

My personal nit-pick are Aris (Jacob Lofland) and Brenda's (Rosa Salazar) significance in the books, obvious by their sudden involvement and roles in the movie.

Dunno how "updated" this picture of him is, still...
Source
Aris is the character that is the "outcast" in the facility they were brought to prior from the ending of the first movie. He had little time to develop any kind of relationship or kinship to Thomas, the main. But circumstances and a sudden shift of personality from the book tells that Thomas is such a paranoid and curious cat that he was right to trust the information fairly given by Aris as if it was Aris' instinct to tell them. Assuming, he must've done this to all the new comers expecting some kind of rebellious source of energy when ever he shows them around. By instinct maybe, or what ever, Aris shows them. The movie not clearly showing whatever motivation, well besides being paranoid. Whilst compared to the other kids in the facility.

However, I do understand if not much of the kids in the facility would be willing to trade the comfort for something perilous as suspicion of their food and shelter source. Nevertheless, it was something I found lacking in explanation on why. So basically I'm ending Aris' existence as a spur of the moment.

Further information about Aris, researching about the book of course. Aris seems to be a completely important character as he shared a telepathic connection to both Thomas and Teresa, main lead female (?) from the previous movie although we are basing in the books now. Of course another lacking element in the movie.

Source
Second character nit-pick, Brenda. I shipped Brenda to Thomas the moment she showed her face. Clearly my fan girl side showed, although I did not squeal. Her role in the movie was quite significant, besides being the only other girl Thomas clearly showed interest to. Checking on her, book version, I was correct to ship her to Thomas even though I'm not quite sure how they end up.

Her character, and the actress, portrayed a strong girl. Not just in opinion but in surviving as well. Something that awfully attracted me to her, plus her round eyes. If I compared movie Teresa with movie Brenda in the current movie, they flowed so differently that it even clearly showed that Teresa was finally shifting sides. Although it might be intentional. Meh.

To me it's a matter of taste. The most shocking part for me in the movie was Minho and how...well you'll have to watch the movie for yourself because the only thing I needed to nit-pick were the characters. The flow of the story is the typical dystopian world with an infectious mankind killing virus. What stands out in this story and movie, besides a hand pick of characters some girls would like to fan over, is probably the attempt to reach out to the fan base.

Which by now might be rolling over their beds from sheer disappointment or pride of how the 2 movies has run.

No comments:

Post a Comment