Friday, June 12, 2015

concepts . finished books . EARTHBOUND

You could say that EARTHBOUND (Mother 2, for the original title) is one of the most known nostalgic games out there. Probably by majority of the gamers from the 80-90's, I myself played it under an SNES emulator my brother so generously provided (well he owned the games in the PC for that matter), and browsing over all nostalgias sake for quotes to use for some designs I was supposed to do made me yearn for the game again. Not that its enough that I'm stuck finally playing Breathe of Fire II in a PSP emulator for Android (so much pirated stuff used).

from: http://fantasyanime.com/legacy/earthb_about.htm

I don't quite remember the days when I played the game, or replayed the game, or even finishing it. Still it held such memories for me, that me anticipating a game made by fans (dubbed>> Mother 4) was enough for me to be happy that someones eager to continue something from that nostalgic game play. Even though it wasn't made by the same developers as the original franchise. (see trailer below or visit their>> youtube site)


Speaking of nostalgia, not really, but I was hoping I could get a head start on it. I just finished reading the KREST-OH-MAN-SEE (proper pronunciation for>> Chrestomanci dutifully cleared by the writer her self) series written by Diana Wynne Jones (i seriously don't remember or even know how to pronounce the first two of her name, thank god i remember her other works that i love).

 wait, i haven't read that Mixed Magics one,
but i sure do remember reading those first colourful six
(i think this is an epub icon?)
The book, as always, is dipped in such a way that everything moved in the blink of an eye. From one moment you're bound under a fanciful description of a scenario then towards another, each taking its own pace. Sometimes I get tired of reading the in betweens that ran through, imagining such quantity of happenings being done all at the same time the heros or heroines of the story is being plucked into a grim fate only they were fortunate to be in.

In a way I dub the way she writes her work as something akin to "plot driven by the plot" (i don't quite remember how i got that myself), as if you see the characters could not do anything but do something because of a "fate", unfortunate or not, befall upon them. In contrast to the characters writing the said "fate" with intention or unintentional. (i still do not get how i can explain it clearly, someday I'm gonna have to search for that again and see if I'm quite correct or not by memory)

Over all reading her books are always magical, and exactly what the genre of her books are Fantasy. Their maybe a lot of things strung together and somewhat draggy or hastily woven, still it ends in a way you feel exhilarated.

No comments:

Post a Comment